Sunday, 1 January 2017

Books Read in December

I'm not sure how it happened but I have managed to read four books in December even though I've been busy with Christmas. I love buying presents, walking around the shops, picking out something to either make the person laugh or match their personality. I'm not much of an internet shopper at Christmas time. Don't get me started on wrapping presents - I love it!

This year I hosted Boxing Day and all of my family came over, and it was a great day. Christmas was very different from what it was a few years ago so I have been thinking about the past more than I should have over the last few weeks. Missing people who aren't in our lives anymore, thinking about the past year but also thinking about what the future will hold...



Anyway, to the books I've read....

Chernobyl Prayer - Svetlana Alexievich
This fantastic book includes witness accounts of the Chernobyl disaster and the ways lives have changed, the way people have been manipulated and the way some people decided to continue to live near the area. Fascinating book. Highly highly recommended.

Fell - Jenn Ashworth
This is a haunting book about the spirits of the past arising when Annette returns to her childhood home, ready to renovate it and sell. This book is atmospheric and touching. I'll be reviewing Fell later in the month. Fantastic writing.

Olive Kitteridge - Elizabeth Strout
I've head lots of amazing things about this book and I'm not sure why I've put off reading it for so long. After reading My Name is Lucy Barton, I thought it was time that I read this book. This book is a collection of short stories based around the community in which Olive Kitteridge lives. She isn't always the main character in the story but lingers on the sidelines, her presence is always there within the community. Amazing author. Next year, I'm going to read more Elizabeth Strout.

What A Way To Go - Julia Forster
I think I won this back in 2015 and it's another book where I'm not sure why I've waited so long to read. This tells the story of Harper and her life with her divorced parents. I'm not sure if it's a YA novel or adult novel - maybe it's a crossover novel. I enjoyed this book, and fans of Nina Stibbe will like this book.


I hope everybody has had a fantastic holiday. Pop by tomorrow and I'll be posting my 2016 review!

No comments: