Wednesday, 9 November 2016

October's Reading AKA Make-Over Month

Right, before we begin... 

As you can see I've had a bit of a make-over on the blog. You can now access my pages on the right hand side, and there's a new header. I'm finding the blogger templates are not as easy to manipulate as they used to be (or maybe my internet skills have improved and now I notice these techie things). I need to either learn some coding skills (from basically zero to expert) or I need to start thinking about my own domain name and finding someone to do the leg work for me (I know, I know, I've been talking about this for years).

Anyway, now you've had a look round, lets get back to why we're here... books and writing.

In October my story, I'll Love You Until the End of Time, was published at Dear Damsels. You read read it by clicking through on this post. PLUS this story will be in their annual which will be published soon - so watch out for more information soon.

I DID take the best picture ever of the books I read in October but I went and deleted it because I thought it was backed up in the cloud (look at me talking all tech here) but it didn't so you're going to have to put up with several pictures.

October was a very good month for reading - I enjoyed all of the books!

Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch
I love lending books to people but I am the worse person in the work to lend books to as it takes me a while to read them and return - I worry about breaking spines or accidently dropping the book in the bath. Rivers of London was a borrowed book and I did my best to return the book in the right condition (go me!). Peter Grant, a Detective Constable and trainee wizard takes on supernatural cases in London. Gods, goddesses, ghosts and witches all live among us, and are all tangled up in the feuds and conflicts. This is a great book, full of energy. This book is better than Neverwhere. Looking forward to reading the rest in the series. At some point. Soon. Maybe. But I will definitely read them.

The Lonely City - Olivia Laing
This book looks at the way loneliness is portrayed within Art especially in New York- both mixed media and on the canvas, in films and also the way the internet can at the same time connect people and also isolate people from reality. This is a very informative and enjoyable book. I've leant this to a friend as I was coming in everyday telling my friend about all of the details I was learning - it got to the point where it was easier to lend the book.

The Other Side of the World - Stephanie Bishop
This novel is a deeply moving and beautifully written novel about search of one family to find utopia in a post-WWII world. You can read my review here.

Bridget Jones: Mad about the Boy - Helen Fielding
Seeing the third film (which is good and much better than the second one) inspired me to get this off the shelf. I don't think I'm spoiling anything when I say that Mark Darcy is dead and Bridget is a single mother trying to bring up her two children, juggle a screenplay and finding love. This book is a fun, comfort read - great for those evenings when all you want to do is snuggle under a blanket.

A Boy Made of Blocks - Keith Stuart
A father learns to understand his autistic son using the power of Minecraft. This is a great, funny and informative read on the ways family struggle with autism, and how it can bring together as well as push away families. Fans of Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time will definitely enjoy this book. Will be reviewing soon.

No comments: