Saturday, 24 September 2016

August's Reads

Best talk about the books I read in August before September actually runs out...

Translation of love not pictured
Right August was spent decorating all of the hallway and most of the living room. I do still need to finish off two walls. I could fill up this blog post with excuses of why I haven't finished painting my living room but by the time I had done that I could have actually moved all of the heavy furniture and slapped paint across the wall. But, I have been revised my novel too...getting back into the groovy.

In August I munched my way through three novels and a play. The novels were all great and the reading the play just made me want to see the play more than anything else.

Translation of Love - Lynne Kutsukake
This debut novel is impressive, exploring the cultural clashes in occupied Japan after WWII. You can read my review here.

The Good Guy - Susan Beale
This novel is Richard Yates meets Mad Men so obviously I loved it. Beale looks at the push and pull as society changes after the war where people have more freedoms and how this can cripple lives. Will be writing a review very soon.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - J.K. Rowling
I'm not going to reveal any of the plot so you don't need to look away but all I can say is that it was good to be back in the Harry Potter universe. I now really really want to see the play as the set direction sounds amazing.

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August - Claire North
Loved Time Traveler's Wife? Or even Doctor Who with all of its wibbly wobbly timey wimey bits?
Then you'll love this - this has been recommended to me many times and I now know why - wished I had read it sooner. One thing I've noticed about time travel books is that the protagonist always seems to be male. Must look out for a book where the main character is a woman or alternatively, write one!

Right a question for you (one reader)... do you Instagram? If yes, leave your username in the comments and I will follow you.

No comments: