Sunday, 7 August 2016

So I Didn't Read That Much in July...

Only three books read in July but you know that's better than two or even zero if you want to look on the bright side of things. I would like to say that the excuse is that I've been working like mad on my novel but, well, I have only finished redrafting one chapter this month - still have ten left to redraft.


July has been full of birthdays, enjoying the summer, seeing the sea and treating myself to seeing the play version of George Orwell's 1984. The visual effects for this play were amazing, so was the set design and acting. Haven't been to the theatre for over a year so it was good to be seeing something.

Anyway, back to the books...


Life Moves Pretty Fast - Hadley Freeman
I borrowed this from a friend months ago, and have only just got round to reading it. This is a book about 80s films so there's nothing to hate about it. I gobbled this book up as I love anything to do with the 80s. Since the 80s films coming out of Hollywood have become more conservative and that many films that we think are 'tame' compared to today's films would not be made today as they tackle things like abortion e.g. Dirty Dancing as nowadays women in films are expected to have the baby e.g. Knocked Up and Juno. Very interesting book.

Things We Need - Jennifer Close
The thing about this book is that the hardback and paperback versions have a different title. I read the hardback version, Things We Need but the paperback is called The Smart One. I think Things We Need suits the book and its themes. The Coffey siblings have left home to become adults but things are not working out - Claire has split from her fiance and has mountains of debt so moves back, her sister, Martha is having a career crisis and needs some stability in her life, and their brother Max is on the verge finishing college but his girlfriend has a big secret. This is a book about finding second chances, dealing with life, and taking control of your own decisions. Smart, flawed characters making real life mistakes but finding a way out. I really enjoyed this book.

Martini Henry - Sara Crowe
Here's the female version of Adrain Mole. Sue Bowl wants to be a journalistic, and lives in a mansion with her aunt. At 17, she thinks she's all grown up with nothing else to learn but it looks like life has a few things planned for Sue. This is a funny book, and I'll be reviewing this soon.

No comments: