Monday, 14 March 2016

Heather Gudenkauf's Imaginary Bookshop


Today Heather Gudenkauf,  author of Missing Pieces, has popped by to take part in the Imaginary Bookshop series. Her book is now available to buy, and I will be reading and reviewing over the next few months.

*

What would be the name of your imaginary bookshop?
The name of my bookshop would be Three Wishes for my three children ~ Alex, Annie and Gracie. Each night when they were little we would read together, say bedtime prayers and then we’d each make a wish. I always said my wish was granted when they came along.

Where would your imaginary bookshop be located?
Three Wishes would be located in an old brownstone building with high tin ceilings, floor to ceiling bookshelves and a rolling ladder. Of course it would be in my hometown of Dubuque, Iowa on a tree-lined street near the Mississippi River.

Would your bookshop have any special features? E.g. a performing stage, a cocktail bar, etc.
My bookstore would have lots of comfy seating. There would be squishy chairs, rocking chairs, maybe even a hammock or two.  It would have a fireplace that we would light on cold winter days. Three Wishes would have a small bakery that specializes in the cookies that my mom makes ~ peanut butter chocolate chip, Pride of South Dakota, and oatmeal cookies. It would also have to have a fountain pop station.

What would make your bookshop different from all of the other ones?
Three Wishes would be different because it would be open twenty-four hours so a reader can come in a pick up a book at any time of day.  I know many bookstores already do this, but my store would have to be pet friendly so my German Shorthair Pointer, Lolo would have some friends to hang out with. I also think it would be pretty great to have a yoga studio connected to the bookstore. I’m not very good at it, but I like the idea of being good at yoga.

What sections would you have in your bookshop? And what sections would you ditch?
I could never ditch a particular section – it would be like having to pick your favourite child! My bookstore would definitely have to have a mystery~thriller, biography, poetry, children and historical fiction sections.

Every bookshop needs a display table. Which books would you have on your display table? Why?
I would have a display table filled with all the different editions of My Antonia by Willa Cather. My Antonia is my all-time favourite novel and whenever I go to a bookstore I try to find a new edition with a different cover. I’m always on the hunt for a new one.

If you could run only one author event who would you have? You can pick a living or dead writer. What sort of event would they run?
It’s so hard to pick just one author ~ I have so many favourites, but I think I would choose Louisa May Alcott. I would have her read from Little Women and talk about her writing process and where her ideas came from. I would ask her what it was like to be a female author during her era and the challenges she faced. 

A customer comes up to your till with a copy of your novel, Missing Pieces and asks you to give them a reason on why they should buy it. What would you say?
I would tell the customer that Missing Pieces is a fast-paced thriller that will make them question whether or not the person sleeping next to them each night is the person they believed them to be.

What sort of cake would you offer when launching your book in your bookshop?

Chocolate cake with no frosting and vanilla ice cream.

*

Heather lives here on the internet and tweets here.

You can buy Missing Pieces from your favourite bookshop.

No comments: