Sunday, 5 July 2015

Books Read in June


Books Read in June

Writing in June

June saw me trying to rework chapter seventeen of my novel but it just wasn't playing ball so at the moment chapter seventeen is one room and I'm in another, waiting for it realise it has made a very big mistake and then come begging back to be redrafted. I remember writing this chapter quite quickly and there are definitely too many scenes and it starts in the wrong place. I'll either be able to fix it or I'll scrap it - that should show chapter 17 who's the boss around here!

I had a very short story published in June. Blink and you'll miss it as its very short! You can read For Sale by clicking here > For Sale

Books read in June

The Opposite of Loneliness - Marina Keegan
This was a present from a dear friend. This is a posthumous collection, collated by Marina Keegan's family. Her essay, 'The Opposite of Loneliness' went viral after her death. This collection contains both essays and fiction. I preferred the essays and would have preferred the book to have been purely non fiction as she gives a good insight into the anxiety of students on the verge of graduating.

Intimacy - Hanif Kureishi
This novel tells the story of a man walking away from his marriage. I liked the writing style and the way the novel is set over a 24 hour period but the main character, who doesn't want to put any effort to any relationship and wants things served to him on a plate, is a complete douche.

A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Backman
Ove is the grumpiest neighbour you could possibly have but he does have reasons for his surliness. This is a great story about the power of neighbours and community. I will be reviewing this soon.
Fredrik Backman also popped by and took part in the Imaginary Bookshop Q&A.

The Weightless World - Anthony Trevelyan
This book was the last in the Curtis Brown Book Club and tells the story of Ess and his assistant heading to India on the search for an antigravity machine. I'll be reviewing this one soon.

What did you read in June?

No comments: