Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Fredrik Backman's Imaginary Bookshop

Today we have another fantastic Imaginary Bookshop Q&A from Fredrik Backman, author of A Man Called Ove (which I am currently reading and will be reviewing soon) and My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises.

*


Hi Fredrik, congratulations on the publication of your novel, My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises, and thank you for popping over to Writer’s Little Helper and becoming the latest author to take part in the Imaginary Bookshop series.



What would be the name of your imaginary bookshop?
At the top of my head: "Captain Book".

Where would your imaginary bookshop be located?
Probably in the bottom of the apartment building where me and my family lives. I don't really like to leave home. You have to go outside to leave home, and I find the outside part of the world very untrustworthy. I've heard there's rain and people out there. 

Would your bookshop have any special features? E.g. a performing stage, a cocktail bar, etc.
There would be unicorns made out of ice cream and every night they will be eaten and every morning they will rise from the dead and be eaten again, like the eternal pig Särimner the vikings eat in Valhalla.

What would make your bookshop different from all of the other ones?
Apart from the ice cream unicorns? Nothing much. Normal bookshop.

What sections would you have in your bookshop? And what sections would you ditch?
I would only have one section. "Good stuff". Bad stuff would have no place in my bookshop. You'll have to cross the street for that, to my arch rival "The Wolvereader", who has a bookshop full of donkeys made from nachos.

Every bookshop needs a display table. Which books would you have on your display table? Why?
Everything by Astrid Lindgren. And if you don't understand why I'm afraid we just can't be friends. There would also be ice cream on the table, because sometimes the unicorns are on a break. Union rules.
A customer comes up to your till with a copy of your novel, My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises and asks you to give them a reason on why they should buy it. What would you say?
Don't buy it. My wife claims the writer is highly overrated.

What sort of cake would you offer when launching your book in your bookshop?
There's an Iranian sort of cookie that tastes like someone deep fried a cloud. I don't know what it's called. But I wouldn't give it to the guests because sadly it's all eaten now. But I'm sure there are some biscuits somewhere around here.

*

Fredrik Backman is a Swedish blogger, columnist and author. His debut novel A MAN CALLED OVE has been a number 1 bestseller across Scandinavia.  It has now sold over 1 million copies. Fredrik's second novel, MY GRANDMOTHER SENDS HER REGARDS AND APOLOGISES, also went straight to number 1 in Sweden on publication in 2014.

1 comment:

JanneS said...

I especially like the Särimner ref:-)