Monday, 9 February 2015

Guest Post: Jasmine Warga's Imaginary Bookshop


Today we have Jasmine Warga answering the Imaginary Bookshop questions, and her answers are really great so I hope you enjoy this installement. Jasmine wants her bookshop to have cocktails and books - so I really need her bookshop to open! 
Her new book, My Heart & Other Black Holes is out this week.

*

Hi Jasmine, congratulations on the publication of your novel, My Heart and Other Black Holes and thank you for popping over to Writer’s Little Helper and becoming the latest author to take part in the Imaginary Bookshop series.

Thank you so much for having me! I’m endlessly grateful to bloggers who help spread the word about books. Much love for the entire reading community.

What would be the name of your imaginary bookshop?
Books And Other Magical Objects

Where would your imaginary bookshop be located?
On Boulevard Saint-Germain in Paris, which I think is one of the most magical streets in the whole world.

Would your bookshop have any special features? E.g. a performing stage, a cocktail bar, etc.
I would love to have a cocktail bar! The bookstore would serve literary cocktails ala Tim Federle’s TEQUILLA MOCKINGBIRD. I’d also love to have a stage where local poets and musicians could perform on weekend nights.

What would make your bookshop different from all of the other ones?
We would also sell unique umbrellas and magical wands! I’m envisioning this bookstore to be both super cozy and super quirky. It would have sloping ceilings and every wall would be painted a different color.

What sections would you have in your bookshop? And what sections would you ditch?
Oh, I think I would include all the sections. We would obviously have a very large YA section, but I think all the sections are important. I would want to cater to every reader even though I could personally do without fly-fishing manuals.
Every bookshop needs a display table. Which books would you have on your display table? Why?
Hm, I would have an eclectic display called “Owner Favourites” that featured books by Anne Carson, Stephen Chbosky, Margaret Atwood, Francesca Lia Block, Junot Diaz, Jandy Nelson, JK Rowling, and all of my fellow 2015 YA debuts because I love them fiercely.

If you could run only one author event who would you have? You can pick a living or dead writer. What sort of event would they run?
I would bring Simone du Beauvoir back from the grave. First, St. Germain was her old stomping grounds, and I’d love the opportunity to talk to her about feminism (and also what it was like to date Sartre!).

A customer comes up to your till with a copy of your novel, My Heart and Other Black Holes and asks you to give them a reason on why they should buy it. What would you say?
I would ask them if they enjoy quirky, dark stories with a dash of romance, and if they say yes, I’d tell them that I’d very much appreciate it if they gave my little book a chance.

What sort of cake would you offer when launching your book in your bookshop?
Black raspberry ice cream cake! Peppermint ice cream cake! Basically, all types of ice cream cake. Did I say ice cream cake?

Jasmine live in this part of the internet jasminewarga.com
AND
Tweets here @jasminewarga

*


You can buy My Heart & Other Black Holes from this week. I'll be reviewing it over the next week so watch out for that. Spoiler: its really good.

No comments: