Thursday, 24 July 2014

Longlisted for the Man Booker prize

I wasn't longlisted for the Man Booker Prize. again.

One day they will accept unpublished novels stored on a computer hard drive and my novel will be front of the queue, waving its chapters around in the air, snarling at the other millions of people with novels on their hard drives.

Anyway, in the mean time I should probably carry on redrafting my novel. I am currently stuck with chapter thirteen. I think it starts too early in the scene so I'm hacking back and writing an alternative opening. Progress is slower than I would want as I would ideally like to be redrafting a different chapter each week but this one has been stuck on my desk for three weeks. Things like paperwork for our new house and a small thing called life are getting in the way and so they should but I think the reason why this chapter is being a pain in the backside is because it was the first chapter I wrote during last year's novel writing month. It is a bit wooly in places, vague and shapeless. I honestly can't understand people who write a novel in novel writing month who then send it off to agents once they have finished. These things need work. Lots of work.

Back to the Man Booker Prize. I bought Karen Joy Fowler's We Are Completely Beside Ourselves (which is on the list) the other week in London as a treat to read for when we finally go on holiday either in 'real life' or as a holiday from the review books I am currently making my way through. I always think its good to have a break every couple of books or the reviewing becomes stale. I have a great bunch of books to keep me occupied.

I have several reviews popping up on the blog for some great books so look out for them!

No comments: