Saturday, 5 July 2014

Connecting Writers: The Writing Process


Thank you Teresa Stenson for nominating me to be part of this blog tour where writers talk about their writing process. 

What am I working on?
  • I am currently redrafting my novel. It's a slow process but I have set myself a challenge to try and finish a chapter each week. I am currently working on chapter thirteen.
  • I am also preparing a few short stories for submission but nowadays most of my writing time is spent on redrafting my novel or writing book reviews.
  • I am also getting back into the habit of writing flash fiction as they are great for creating stories with small word counts and for honing those important editing skills.
  • I have retired from writing poetry.

How does my work differ from others of its genre?
  • I don't really think of genre when I'm writing my novel or even short stories. I write stories that I am interested in. I don't intentionally write for a specific genre.

Why do I write what I do?
  • I like writing and I like the challenge of trying to achieve a great story. Sometimes a story doesn't work but that's all part of the fun. Sometimes its great and the story will be published. It's a great feeling know that the story isn't just on your hard drive but is being read but other people who may or not be enjoying it!

How does my writing process work?
  • I tend to write the first draft without going back and making edits. I firmly believe in 'shitty first drafts'. If I do have a change of heart about a chapter, or plot then I write it down, ready to change in the next round of redrafting.
  • I normally tackle the redrafting process chapter by chapter and then once I have reached the end I will go back round until I know that its ready for someone to read. Each chapter needs to be printed off and editing by hand before I make the changes on my computer.
  • My last novel took four years and had a couple of near misses with agents. I'm hoping this current novel doesn't take as long but you never know.
*

I’m nominating Sara Crowley to take the baton! If you do, you need to answer the same questions I have and then pass it on to another blogging writer. 

1 comment:

Teresa Stenson said...

Excellent stuff, thanks Jessica (I really thought I'd killed this so I'm very pleased you took the baton!)

Good point about 'shitty first drafts' - a useful & timely reminder for me to just get the words out.

Lots of luck with your novel :)