Friday, 4 April 2014

Guest Post: Nik Perring's Imaginary Bookshop


Nik Perring’s new delightful The View From Here. Nik has kindly agreed to take part in the imaginary bookshop Q&A.

book, Beautiful Words, published on Monday, was recently reviewed by me over  at

*

Hi Nik, congratulations on the publication of your new book, Beautiful Words and thank you for popping over to Writer’s Little Helper. I thought I would give you some questions that you may not have already answered on your blog tour.

Thanks for having me over. It's a pleasure to be here again. I love this blog!

What would be the name of your imaginary bookshop?
Good question! I'm going to (kind of) cheat and say Beautiful Books, because that's what books are.
                 
Where would your imaginary bookshop be located?
Somewhere pretty and easy to get to. If I'm running it (ha!) then probably Paris, and that's only because I've always fancied living there.

Would your bookshop have any special features? E.g. a performing stage, a cocktail bar, etc.
Yes, I think it'd definitely be cool to have a stage - there are LOADS of different things people could do on it. I certainly wouldn't limit it to readings and author events. There'd be music, comedy, knitting demonstrations, show and tell. You name it. It would be a home for anything creative or interesting.

There'd be a cafe and there'd be coffee and tea and cake and snacks. And soft chairs and sofas. And an outside terrace or garden at the back for when it's sunny.
                
What would make your bookshop different from all of the other ones?
I don't think it'd be all that different to the other indies out there. From what I've seen, they're all pretty great.
                 
What sections would you have in your bookshop? And what sections would you ditch?
I can't see me ditching any sections, to be honest. It's not for me to judge people on what they read. People should read what they enjoy. And I firmly believe there's enough space for everyone and every genre. That said, I don't think I'd sell the bible.
                 
Every bookshop needs a display table. Which books would you have on your display table? Why?
Mine. To make me rich! Of course I'm only joking. I'd like to stock that table with books customers have recommended with a hand written note explaining why.
                 
 If you could run only one author event who would you have? You can pick a living or dead writer. What sort of event would they run?
Yikes! That's almost impossible to answer. I guess, if it was down to me, it'd have to be Kurt Vonnegut because I love him as much for what he said as for what he wrote.
                 
A customer comes up to your till with a copy of your book, Beautiful Words and asks you to give them a reason on why they should buy it. What would you say?
Because they can have a free slice of cake if they do and my eternal gratitude. For me it's  because I think it's beautiful! A celebration of words and story and all the things I'd hope a book lover would love. And with gorgeous illustrations. I wrote it because it's the kind of thing I think I'd like to have been given as a gift. (And yes, I think I'd make a rubbish salesman too!)
                 
What sort of cake would you offer when launching your book in your bookshop?
I think I'd have a selection. One sort is never enough!


Thanks for popping along Nik and good luck with your book :)

Bio:
Nik Perring is a short story writer and author from the UK. His stories have been published in many fine places both in the UK and abroad, in print and online. They’ve been used on High School distance learning courses in the US, printed on fliers, and recorded for radio. Nik is the author of the children’s book, I Met a Roman Last Night, What Did You Do? (EPS, 2006); the short story collection, Not So Perfect (Roastbooks 2010); and he’s the co-author of Freaks! (The Friday Project/HarperCollins, 2012). His online home is www.nikperring.com and he’s on Twitter as @nikperring




1 comment:

Sandra Danby Author said...

Great interview. SD
http://www.sandradanby.com/