Sunday, 20 October 2013

First Drafting, Fast Drafting

I am 26k into the first draft of my novel. (I dread to think what my word count would be for personal and work emails - probably a couple of novels). That's 26k since January - for some people that is probably a low figure and to others it's a high figure. I think this number is OKAY - I don't write full time because I have to work full time and there is also a life to lead.

I haven't been planning on this novel. Not until this week. This week I sat down and write a one sentence summary of each chapter. The planning has helped - I can see the direction I want to head and my motivation is an all time high to get this novel finished. I want to put my member of the 'slow writer's club' on hold and attempt to finish this first draft.

I have been reading about 'fast drafting' and I have also been reading about NANOWRIMO (writing 50k in November). I just want these words out of my head and onto the page. They are going to be shitty sentences and I know for certain that there could be whole passages that do not make sense but hey, it's a first draft! No one is ever going to see those words!

So, deep breath, I am going to attempt to write as much as possible on my novel next month. Scary!

Do you have any tips for getting the words on the page?

3 comments:

chillcat said...

Good luck! I've always thought Nanamo rather too daunting and I know I'd have to put my alarm on at 4 for a month. I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you. Does it count if you say you'll revise an already-written novel? Ciao cat

Dan Purdue said...

Hi Jessica,

I don't have any specific tips but I think the most important thing is to resist the temptation to read back over what you've written and to avoid the backspace key at all costs.

It may or may not help, but I'm in a very similar situation (you're a few hundred words ahead of me). I'm planning to tap into the Nanowrimo excitement/panic to push closer towards finishing the novel I've been writing on and off for a long time. I'm not sure the 50K total is realistic, so I'm aiming to average 1000 words a day. That seems realistic while still being a significant increase in my usual output.

Good luck!

Jessica said...

Hi Chillcat and Dan

Thanks for the tips - I knew I should have saved some holiday but oh well - lets see how much I can write!

I think you should be able to bend the rules - I am - I think you should do it, Cat!