Sunday, 30 December 2012

Favourite Books of the Year

2012 has been an incredible year - I got married and we went on a fantastic honeymoon to Canada and the East Coast of the USA. We went to the top of the CN tower, we went on the Maid of the Mist cruise on the Niagara Falls and we went to the top of the Empire State Building.

The best picture out of all of our honeymoon pictures...
Writing wise, I have continued to have short stories published, I have been book reviewing more and more and I have also decided to write another novel. I'm hoping this one doesn't take four years to write. There have been writing rejections too but that's all part of being a writer.

Overall this year has been a great reading year. I have read quite a few books that have been published in 2012 thanks to The View From Here Magazine and to publishers sending me copies to review on my blog.

Here are my favourite books for 2012 in no particular order:


HHhH by Laurent Binet - HHhH is about two Polish men setting out to assassinate Heydrich during WWII. Running alongside this story is a sub plot about the novelist as he tries to write a book about the assassination, trying to resist the temptation to make things up. I loved the unusual style.

Tony Hogan Bought Me An Ice Cream Float Before He Stole My Ma by Kerry Hudson - I reviewed this on my blog. I loved the fact that this book doesn't let you go even when you have reached the final page. Very inspiring story.

Buddha In The Attic by Julie Otsuka - I reviewed this for The View From Here Magazine. I loved the plural viewpoint.

The Understanding Of Women by Janina Matthewson - I reviewed this on my blog after reading Janina's tweets about her front cover. I loved the simple story and the way it contained huge themes.

The Explorer by James Smythe - comes out in physical book format in 2013 but is currently available as an ebook. - I shall be reviewing this in a few weeks time.

Why Be Happy When You Can Be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson - I have been waiting to read this all year and after reading 6 books in a row, which all needed reviewing, I thought I would treat myself to this. This book is brilliant - funny, raw and unsettling all rolled into one autobiography.

What has been your favourite read of the year?

Happy New Year!

1 comment: