Wednesday, 4 January 2012

Goodbye 2011, Hello 2012!

Okay, the compulsory end of year / start of the year blog post. I’m about four days behind with this one! But there was no way I was going to start doing my ‘best books of 2011’ at the start of December – there were still four weeks to find new books. 2011 had its highs – moving house and some lows – being ill.

During 2011, I had a short story published at Static Movement called Batteries Not Included For The Apocalypse and my flash fiction piece, The Department of Extinct Objects, appeared at Referential Magazine. I talked about my writing desk over at Hazel Foster’s website and I took the Five Minute Friday challenge at For Books’ Sake and I talked about my favourite books.

I have redrafted my novel several times. I have now started to send it out to some agents so fingers crossed. I am also contemplating a title change.

There have been rejections too – lots of them. But it only makes my writing stronger. I have felt like giving up but that’s all lip service.

Books and Reading
This year I read forty-one books! That must be a record for me. I originally set myself the task of reading twenty over on the GoodReads website and thought that I wouldn’t hit that target because 2011 was going to be busy. But instead, I got more reading done than I expected. One of the main reasons is that I spent all of the summer tucked up in bed, being very ill. I’m still suffering six months later but definitely not the same scale as before.



My favourite five fiction books of 2011 were:
  • The Tiny Wife by Andrew Kaufman (read all in one session, cuddled up in bed on Christmas Eve morning)
  • The Tiger’s Wife by Tea Obreht
  • Blow on a Dead Man’s Embers by Mari Strachan (my review will be appearing at The View from Here soon)
  • Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada
  • The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe.
  • Just my Type by Simon Garfield is my non-fiction pick for 2011.
TV 
I can’t decide between The West Wing or Battlestar Galactica being my favourite box set.  

Films 
My favourite films for 2011 were:
  • Midnight in Paris
  • Perfect Sense
  • Another Earth
  • Drive
  • X-Men: First Class
  • Take Shelter

Comfy Christmas present from Kieran
Hello 2012!! 

2012 is also going to be exciting writing wise – I have pieces forthcoming in Untoward Magazine, Little Fiction, a piece will be republished at Eunoia Review and a short story will be appearing in Kerouac’s Dog (I have seen the PDF and I’m looking forward to the print publication).

I am still hopeful that an agent will take a chance on my novel and represent me.

I have the twinkles of novel 2 in my head. Maybe. I don’t know. We’ll have to see.

AND I am getting married and going on a plane for the first time – our honeymoon will be 14 day tour of the East Coast of America and Canada

5 comments:

Sara Crowley said...

Really sorry to hear that you were so poorly last year and hope 2012 is a healthy one for you.

And, how on earth did you do the cute little book montage?

I forget half the books I read so I thought this year I'd like to keep track on my blog somewhere but couldn't find a widget. Am just doing a straight forward blog list but tiny pics would be cool.

Jessica said...

Hi Sara, I actually did two screen shots from my 2011 reading list from Goodreads - I think they do widgets too! It was the only way I could 'show' all the books I had read!

I really want to be healthier this year - a sprained ribcage isn't much fun!!

Saw Lady said...

May 2012 be better than 2011! (Regarding your health).
I envy you the number of books you managed to read.
Out of your favorit movies I've only seen one - 'Another Earth', and that's because I'm the one who played the musical saw on the soundtrack :) This is the music from this scene on the composer's website http://www.scottmunsonmusic.com/news/music-in-film-another-earth-soundtrack
Will you be in NYC on your honeymoon tour? If so, you might run into me in the subway: http://youtu.be/lPvTTc7jAVQ If you do - come say 'hi'.
And - congratulations on your nuptials!

Jessica said...

Hi Sawlady - thank you for stopping by - I'll check out the links when I get home - they 'block' sound at work! I shall definitely come and say Hi! :)

Jessie Carty said...

Congrats on the wedding plans! I'm reading "the tiger's wife" right now :) I love that my chapbook is on your montage!!