Monday, 27 June 2011

Review - Not so Perfect

The other week I won a Nik Perring's 'Not so Perfect' short story collection over at Dan Powell's blog. It went straight to the top of my mental to-do reading list. And over the weekend, I devoured the whole thing. I gulped down the 22 stories and even re-read some of my favourite ones. My particular favourites are 'When You're Frightened, Honey, Think of Strawberries' and 'The Mechnical Woman.'

This pocket-sized book is ideal for lovers of small handbags. I really love the square coaster shape. I have been thinking of putting all of my published pieces in one place and I think a small square book would do them nicely.

Most of the characters are on the fringe of society and are mostly looking for acceptance or who are wanting to find a way forward with their lives - a stalker watching a mother in a library, a woman who vomits animals, a shark boy who has to always move. In a few carefully chosen words, Perring can make the read care for a character who vomits lemurs.

I like short stories where things are hinted at but not fully told. This collection does that.

Not So Perfect is ideal for someone who only wants to dip into a one page story, maybe while they wait at the doctors or waiting for a train but it is also ideal if you want to read a book from cover to cover.

No comments: