Monday, 24 January 2011

Short Story Acceptance and Keeping Stories at Arm's Length

Today I got a short story accepted by Kerouac's Dog Magazine. Kerouac's Dog is an independent UK magazine, inspired by Jack Kerouac and the 1950s Beat generation. My short story will be appearing in issue three. Yay happy dance.

This is a great boost after a series of rejections. Even the story accepted today has been rejected three or four times but each time I refused to retire the story. I grabbed the editing pen and shook the story even more. I didn't want to give up with the story - I really enjoyed writing it too much.

I came across this quote via Twitter the other day and it has been swimming around in my head since:

"You send that work out... If you have talent, you will receive some measure of success - but only if you persist. ~ Isaac Asimov"

At the moment, I am mulling over a first draft of a short story. I have pushed it to arm's length and have a page of 'new ideas' to add and also reminders to delete some scenes. Later this week I am going to print it off and hopefully look at it with a fresh, more critical eye.

At the moment it is hard to get a regular routine as I am in the middle of packing up the house and cleaning every surface. We are moving out of our current house next week, squatting in a family member's house for two weeks and then, hopefully getting the keys to our new house. I'm really looking forward to unpacking all of my books - they have been in boxes since November.

3 comments:

Jayne said...

Hello! Congrats with the short story success! I find it inspiring that you didn't give up on your story - it just shows if you believe the story to be a good one then try, learn and keep pushing it! Good luck with the move.

Jessie Carty said...

Congrats on the acceptance! All we can do is keeping working on the pieces we love until they find their own new homes :)

The Divorced Lady's Companion to Living in Italy said...

Good work! Looks like a very cool place to have work published. Ciao cat