Tuesday, 12 October 2010

Compulsive Editing

Editing
I am onto another round of editing at the moment. I can't help myself. I must keep going around in circles, deleting sentences, re-instating paragraphs, etc. But this is good - I think I can see light at the end of the novel one's tunnel. This round of editing has me playing the role of janitor - I am sweeping up clunky sentences, spotting naughty spelling mistakes and giving the whole manuscript a good polish. I even have my lovely boyfriend giving it a read too.

I found this recently on Writer Unboxed, a cartoon about compulsive editing.

Synopsis
I have struggled with this task. I don't how why this has caused me such trouble because after all this editing I should know the novel inside out. But I had to make myself sit down the other Sunday and just write it before anything else could be done. I now have a one page synopsis and also a ten page, chapter by chapter breakdown of the novel.

I am also researching Literary Agencies at the moment - seeing which ones publish my favourite authors.  This will be the 'sell, sell, sell' part of writing. The part that a lot of writers call the ugly part but this is the reality.

It is two years this month that the first twinges of the novel started to appear in my head. Even if I don't get my novel published I am still going to be happy with actually finishing a novel - I have had several false starts but this idea was the one that made me commit. I know my printer has definitely felt those two years. I am hoping he still has another year left in him but he is starting to groan with every print job.

6 comments:

authorsoundsbetterthanwriter said...

aw good luck with this. I hope it goes well. And if you're researching agents I think the Writers and Artists Yearbook is really useful.

Sandra said...

Ah... it's good to read you! I've just finished the first draft of my novel, and I have this overwhelming feeling that NOW the hard work begins!

Jessica said...

Thanks authorsoundsbetterthanwriter and Sandra for such lovely comments :)

I have a copy of the 2007 writers and Artists yearbook so hopefully it isn't too out of date !

Jessie Carty said...

I love your attitude about the whole process. Hopefully you'll find the agent of your dreams! :)

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Hi and I do sympathise. I wish you so much good fortune as you go on to the next stage. You work so hard, you really deserve it!

Teresa Stenson said...

Good luck, Jessica. I'm always really inspired and impressed by how hard you've been working on your novel. Looking forward to reading about the querying stage of your process too.