Friday, 24 September 2010

Synopsis Research


I am currently splitting my writing time between editing and writing the synopsis, chapter by chapter. It is taking longer than I thought but I think it has got a bit out of hand. I am currently at chapter sixteen and the synopsis is now ten pages long. WAY too long! So I have been having a look at some Literary Agency websites and the Agents who represent my favourite authors. This is what they ask for when sending a synopsis in the submissions pack: 
  • Full plot synopsis, 
  • outlining novel on one page, 
  • brief synopsis, 
  • simple synopsis of no more than a page. 
So from this I know that I need to do some serious editing on the synopsis. Serious editing. I also came across another agency asking for the synopsis to be simply three sentences long. So I am going to have some simple versions ready and also keep the long one too. You know, ‘just in case.’ 

I also had a rejection for a piece of flash fiction. This is a good thing because I got back some lovely, personal comments on how to improve the piece so now I have an idea how to expand the idea and possibly turn it into a short story. 

In other related writing news, I have sold my huge desk. No more magazine rack on the side, no shelf for my long-suffering printer, no book shelf along the top, no place for knick-knacks and no official home for my Macbook. This is for a good reason – it was too huge for when we move in December/January. So now I am on the look out for a nice one. This weekend I am planning on editing five chapters and writing more chapters into the synopsis. This will probably be done at either the dining room table, on the sofa or wrapped up in bed. It seems this non-desk working could be more comfortable than I first thought!

1 comment:

Jessie Carty said...

Writing that synopsis sounds like a bear! Good luck with it :)