Wednesday, 15 September 2010

Happy Belated Roald Dahl Day

Monday 13th September was Roald Dahl Day. I had every intention of posting on Monday but got caught up with writing this synopsis and editing. I am currently aiming for one chapter to be edited and then written about for my synopsis every evening. I am currently on track (famous last words). 

Roald Dahl was my first favourite author. I borrowed from the library any titles I didn’t own. Relations would buy me his books and I even had a copy of the rail safety code too (with gruesome pictures of heads coming away from bodies if you hung you head out of the window). I had a huge (well it was huge for little me) hardback with Matilda, the BFG and George’s marvellous medicine and I needed to read it while it sat in a small table because it was so heavy. I also remember one teacher reading a chapter every afternoon from Boy but I couldn’t wait for her to finish so I got the book myself. The rat story was my favourite chapter. Even as a teenager I loved his short story, Royal Jelly. Just brilliant. Quentin Blake’s illustrations were splendid too. Roald Dahl was such a great writer because of his great imagination. He didn’t stick to that horrid rule of ‘write what you know.’ He went with this imagination. Anything and everything was possible. 

I can tell you my favourite quote: 

She whipped a pistol from her knickers” – Red Riding Hood, Revolting Rhymes. 

But to pick my favourite book? That is a hard one – it is either the BFG, Matilda or Revolting Rhymes.

2 comments:

Jessie Carty said...

I LOVE Roald Dahl as well :) I still have BFG and Revolting Rhymes. So awesome you picked that particular quote. Now I want to go back to read Revolting Rhymes...now where did I put it..

Nik Perring said...

Excellent choice(s)!