Wednesday, 11 August 2010

Longlisted and More Editing

Big news first! The first 500 words of my novel has been long listed in a novel openings competition. The prize is lunch with an agent. I am really chuffed and good luck to the other long listers too!

The main question was - do I want to read on? I have this question in my head, helping me as I trawl through the different drafts. So it's good to know that my first 500 words can pull the reader into the story.

You can click on this sentence to read the announcement. 

Even if I don't get short listed than at least I will have the motivation to carry on- another kick up the bum is always good.

I have been editing, trying to write an overall synopsis. I know have a two hundred word-ish overview of the novel. The next step is going to be chapter breakdown and trying to get the synopsis to sound enticing and intriguing. I am currently editing chapter sixteen via paper notes and editing chapter fifteen on the screen. So nine more chapters left and I'll be ready for another round of editing.

I also like this article in the Guardian about experimental fiction making a comeback. Say no to the norm!

Experimental fiction: Is it making a comeback?

11 comments:

Sophie Playle said...

Wonderful news! Well done! Will have my fingers crossed for you.

newtowritinggirl said...

Well done, that's fab news. It must be great motivation to carry on. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the shortlist :-)

Alienist said...

Well done, Jess! Good luck.

Jessica said...

Thank you for all of your lovely comments :)

emily josephine mcphillips said...

aw that's great news :)

Steph said...

Great news Jessica, you must be bursting with pride!

:-D

authorsoundsbetterthanwriter said...

wow, your editing process sounds gruelling. I'm sure the finished product is going to be great. Well done for making it on the longlist and good luck in the rest of the competition.

Jessie Carty said...

that is fantastic news! congrats :)

Teresa Stenson said...

Thought I'd already stopped by to say WOW AND WELL DONE! but it appears I have not... so, well, WOW AND WELL DONE!

Hope you get on the short list - but even if you don't it must be a massive encouragement.

Jessica said...

Thank you all for the fabby comments - it means a lot to me :)

Nik Perring said...

Congrats on the long listing! Fingers crossed!

N X