Thursday, 19 August 2010

Finding The Time to Write

Finding the time to write (or edit - which is all I seem to do these days) can be hard. I have a full time job, householdy jobs, dealing with buying a house, preparing for a holiday too. This isn't a 'woe is me' sort of post, no. This is going to be one of posts about finding the time to write.

I find, having my own desk is great motivation for me. I can leave out my notebook, I can leave scribbled chapters in piles and have all my pens sticking out of old mugs. All of my 'stuff' is accessible. I also find crap TV good too - it means there is nothing to lure me into an evening coma. Reading great books is always helpful and films as well. I find having other hobbies can help by having something else to compare with writing. I like cross stitch because once its done, its done. While writing is mostly rewriting.

All my writerly-attention is on the novel at the moment. At first I resisted, wanting to write and edit short stories at the same time but I have found that once I am in editing-mode than there is no point trying to break out.

My new, recent discovered routine is to do the paper edits for chapters during the week. I can sit down with a chapter (or ideally two) in the evening, either at my desk or lounging across the bed, and scribble notes with my mechanical pencil, cross out stupid sentences and hopefully make improvements for the best. I tend to write/edit for around two-ish hours in the evenings. At the weekend I transfer my notes to the Word document.

Teresa, over on her blog recently suggested a technique that I am going to try. She makes a note of the time she spends writing but putting little blocks down to symbolize the time. One little block equals one hour. Click this sentence to read Teresa's post. I am going to try this is see HOW much time I spend on writing/editing. I have a feeling it will be less than first thought.

Editing update - I am only six more chapters away from finishing this edit cycle and then its back to the begin.

No comments: