Saturday, 24 July 2010

How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe

I finished Charle Yu's debut novel, 'How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe.' And it is brilliant! So I have decided to write a review but with a twist. So, here goes.

A review recipe 
Place the following into a novel- creation blender:

A pint of Time Travel machine.
Add one time travel technician
Add one imaginary pet dog
Plus one operating system, TAMMY

Three dollops of time loop.

Add a shot of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Add a half shot of Back to the Future
A drizzle of Time Traveler's Wife
The comedy of Red Dwarf
Sprinkling of 1980s

Blend until a creamy, razor sharp plot starts to form. Add some a tea spoon of sugar to enhance the geeky fun.

This is not just a book for science fiction lovers but for anyone who likes literary fiction, likes comedy, likes novels within novels. Even Audrey 'Time Traveler's Wife'-fame Niffnegger agrees: "Tremendously clever...How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe is marvellously written, sweetly geeky, good clean time-bending fun." 

3 comments:

Jessie Carty said...

O glad I saw this on your goodreads list because I can't wait for my fiction pile to go down so I can get this :)

Jessica said...

Its brilliant Jessie! I hope you enjoy it :)

Charlie said...

Dear Jessica,

I just wanted to thank you for your generous and witty review. It means a great deal to me that you thought enough of it to even mention it in the same breath as the incomparable Red Dwarf. And I'm glad you felt the '80s in there; that was definitely an important part of it for me that I'm not sure many people have picked up on (at least not so far). Thanks again, and best of luck to you in your own writing!

Charlie Yu