Monday, 28 June 2010

Novel Fatigue

I might have novel fatigue. Of course, I have self-diagnosed myself so I could have over-dramatised the symptoms so I could label myself with a 'condition' to explain my lack of motivation for my novel.Symptoms include a reluctance to head to my desk after work and spend the evening editing (either on the screen or paper), wondering why I am bothering to write a novel, dreading about people reading it and shaking their heads in disgust, having no motivation to transfer my edits. Those seem to be the core symptoms at the moment. 

I have found relocating myself has helped. Away from the desk and on to the sofa or even the bed. Editing seems so much easier when you can lounge and have your legs resting on the mattress or coffee table.


I'm sorry novel - I only managed to edit one chapter this weekend but don't feel too bad because there is two weeks of washing that needs ironing so I'm having to wear jeans and a short sleeved jumper on one of the hottest days of the year.


I am keeping creative - I am currently cross stitching Monet's Japanese Bridge. Its a huge project but I am nearing the finishing line. I might try writing a short story and take a break. But then maybe writing this will motivate me again.

P.S. I passed my driving test first time!


P.P.S Caroline Smailes has a new book out and a new widget - become a bee and answer some questions. I have discovered a lot of new blogs too http://www.carolinesmailes.co.uk/hive (I'm a fat pink bee!)

7 comments:

Rebecca Stonebridge said...

Congrats on passing your driving test!

I often find that moving away from my desk helps - sitting on a chair or lying on the bed is so much more comfy.

Nik Perring said...

CONGRATULATIONS, DRIVER!!!!

n X

Caroline said...

I'm a big fat pink bee too. We're twins x

Jessica said...

Hi Rebecca
Lounging while writing is the new way to go!

Hi Nik
Thanks - I just need to get my car through its MOT - eeek.

Hi Caroline
Buzz buzz!

Teresa Stenson said...

Congrats on the driving test! Now cleaning your car can be a new procrastination task.

I bet your fatigue will pass soon. It sounds familiar, from what I've read of other novelists. Must be odd to spend so much time on a project, you're bound to fall in and out of love with it. I hugely admire anyone with the determination and skill to write a novel. I'm not sure if I haven't had the right idea yet, or if I haven't got the right mindset yet. I might have to blog about this...

Jessie Carty said...

failed my drivers test twice so you are extra awesome :)
I haven't written a thing all week! And it has been a nice break but I need to dig in next week :)

Jessica said...

Thanks guys for the lovely comments - last weekend the car failed its MOT and we found out it was involved in a major crash at some point but thanks to the power of EBay it has gone to a new home as spares or repairs so we don't have to deal with the horror under the bonnet anymore :)