Friday, 28 May 2010

I Recommend These Books

As well as nearly being finished with the first draft and preparing to scribble over the second, I have taken some time out to read some great books. So here are my recommendations for the bank holiday:

The Rehearsal – Eleanor Catton – This debut novel is one of those Marmite books with the reviewers. I tend not to listen too much to what they say so I grabbed this one. This book is about the effects of a sex scandal at a girls’ school and also how the local acting school decide to turn into a play. One of the major questions through out the book ‘is adolescence a rehearsal for real life?’ and ‘What is reality?’ The main reason for liking this book is the way the story jumps around in the narrative, cutting to different time frames in the plot, swapping view point. There are flawed characters – I like that because it represents real life. 

Eleanor keeps a blog here: Eleanor Blog

DELLA SAYS: OMG! – Keris Stainton – I own a signed copy of this book thanks to Twitter and Keris. This book takes me back straight to the days of searching the school library for Judy Blume books and pretending I was a year eight so I could take out the ‘naughty’ ones. ‘Della Says’ is about Della losing her diary after a party at her house. A summer romance happens with the boy of her dreams but there is someone out there with the diary, ready to make it all crumble. Here we have a honest protagonist – an icon for a generation – telling it like it really is. None of that fluffy Enid Blyton. The voice of the character pulls you straight in, making the book a compulsive read. I only stopped reading this because I needed to sleep and also I needed to go back to work after lunch.

Keris has a great blog here. Keris Blog.

 I am currently reading ‘Room’ by Emma Donoghue. I believe it has been tipped to be the big seller for this year. The book is about a young woman and her son being kept in a basement away from real life. The story is told in the voice of a five year old. I’m twenty pages in but so far I am intrigued to continue.

2 comments:

NewToWritingGirl said...

I totally agree with you about Della - absolutely loved it :-)

NewToWritingGirl said...

I totally agree with you about Della - absolutely loved it :-)