Wednesday, 28 April 2010

Writing and Also Not Writing

I only seem to be here once a week, maybe twice. Sorry. I am attempting to finish the first draft's edits. The internet modem is switched off when I get back from work and then I type. Type until my eyes are heavy and my fingers can't type. Chapter nineteen is being added to the already huge file and chapter twenty is waiting in the wings. I'm not writing in my notebook or even creating new short stories. I feel bad about that but all my concentration is on the novel at the moment. Am I putting all my eggs into one basket? Probably. I could end up being the only one who reads it.


When I haven't been editing I have been doing the following:

Radio
Listening to Naomi Alderman's Lessons on Book at Bedtime. I normally catch up the day after. A lot of writers seem to write about university for their second novel.

Reading
Our Tragic Universe by Scarlett Thomas. I think this is one of my favs from Thomas. Philosophical about story telling yet also readable.

Craft
I am currently working on Monet's Japanese Bridge in cross stitch.

TV
I am now on season three of West Wing. Plus Glee. I haven't seen the Madonna episode, yet. The writing is so sharp and funny. I don't care if watching Glee is considered low-brow. We can't always be pretentious all the time. 

6 comments:

Ray said...

Glee is sublime. Do not listen to the haters. Reading your blog entries has a calming effect on me at my desk!

Sophie Playle said...

I'm not writing and not writing :(

It's a bad combination.

Jessie Carty said...

i think you have to be a music person to really enjoy glee cause i like me some comedy but i just can't get into it!

Jessie Carty said...

i scribbled a poem draft today and i want to try another essay but my non-fiction lately has just felt so flat...

Jessica said...

Hi Ray
Sue as Madonna was great!

Hi Sophie
I'm sure the writing will come back! You are one busy lady with Inkspill, full time work and life!

Hi Jessie
How is the non fiction coming along? A tutor at uni really put me off writing non fiction. But she won't beat me - I might attempt some after the novel... AND get back into poetry, again.

Jessie Carty said...

I still enjoy my non-fiction writing but it really seems that I'm leaning towards publishing more of it on my blog instead of continuing to try and fit into the limited markets that take non-fiction. It is easy to get turned off by teachers though. Too much craft, at times, can be a killer!