Friday, 19 February 2010

Inspiration for Chapter Two

Chapter two started life as a short flash fiction published over at Six Sentences last year. Full Stop. I remembered struggling to write the chapter and ended up creating a smaller piece. This was a turning point in the story as I hadn't yet decided on having two voices for the novel but ay that moment I realized that I wanted to tell both sides of the story. So I wrote the one of the Character A, living in the city first. All the 'odd' number chapters. This took the longest - she seemed to be a harder character than I first imagined. However, Character B's chapters were pretty quick to write. I knew where she was heading too even though the second chapter was really hard to write. Using shorter fiction to explore the chapter helped me think more about what I wanted to say.

I am currently editing chapter five. There are a lot of scribbles across the first draft. Plus I introduce three new characters in this one and seem to have forgot about one when I wrote the rest of the plot. Is introducing three characters in the space of one chapter too much?

One of the cats is currently using chapter five as a bed. At least the pages will be warm. They are heading back to their Mummy tonight. The zoo  My house will be empty.

2 comments:

Jessie Carty said...

Loved the short version of the story. Might have to give that site a try for some super micro fiction :)

Jessica said...

I recommend Six Sentences!