Wednesday, 10 February 2010

Editing Update

It's quite curious how this novel needs varying levels of redrafting. Some need reworked sentences or paragraphs removed while other chapters need to be tossed aside, ready for a better version. I have already convinced myself there will be another BIG edit after this edit. I want to make it as good as possible.

Chapter One  was clunky and full of false starts. I have saved back some information. I don't want everything being explained in the first chapter. There needs to be a reason for reading onwards.

Chapter Two did not need too much work. some of the paragraphs needed swapping around at the start but other rather that, it seems to flow okay.

Chapter Three needed a small section taken out - it didn't advance the story - Still need to add notes, changes and additions to my 'draft 2' file.

Chapter Four has had to have a complete makeover. Back to the foundations and start again. It has been a bit of a headache but the big chunk of flash back in the middle broke up the 'present action' - I am currently experimenting with feeding it in with the action .

5 comments:

steph said...

Someone told me the other day that Tolstoj rewrote War and Peace eight times. So if editing was good for him... it should be good for you too!

On second thoughts... if he felt the need to rewrite eight times over... oh my God, there surely is no hope for the rest of us!

Is your glass half-full or half-empty today?

;-)

Jessie Carty said...

love hearing about how each section had different issues. i am working on some flash fiction pieces i'd like to ultimately link into a chapbook and they are connected but each have their own issues so i feel i can relate :)

essygie said...

my current WIP has taken two years to write, including 3 full drafts (completely rewriting each time) and one half draft (only rewriting latter half). Am now leaving it for a while but when I go back will still be needing to edit, (though not rewrite).

But... the hard work is worth it, it's the best thing I've written so far.

Just wanted to say, you seem to have the right attitude - just keep on keeping on and eventually you get to the finish line (and it's worth it!) :-)

Jessica said...

Hi Steph,
Eight times! WOW - I suddenly have more respect for War and Peace.

My glass is half full at the moment - I might be struggling with chapter four but at least the first draft is done :)

Hi Jessie
How is the flash fiction comparing with the poetry - more editing or less editing?

Hi Essygie,
It sounds like your project is developing in the right direction!

Jessie Carty said...

I find that I do less editing with flash fiction, at least so far, than with poetry. I think with poetry I have to spend the extra time thinking about the line in particular. Or I might just be more nervous about my poems :)