Wednesday, 27 January 2010

Roman Numerals

It is time to bring back the Roman Numeral (notice the capital on both words - shows Importance!).

I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X

Publishing houses have house styles and these poor fellas have to be converted to 'propa' numbers. Delete them, cross them off. Get rid, get rid! Not everyone can convert them or probably understand. Schools do not tell you.

I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X

I learnt at a young age. Our old carriage clock had the 'V' and the 'X' and the 'III' on the clock face. Then those capital 'I's' and 'V's' disappeared. You might find them in old fashioned, musty smelling library books but in the real world, well things were different.

I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X

I have been changing my mind about naming my chapters. Do I give them cheesy subtitles, go for the numbered approach or do I use letters? I know it's a small dilemma when it comes down to the novel. But at least I have one solution. Now back to plot dilemmas.

I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X

Lets campaign for a bit of class and jolly, pretty number sequences!

3 comments:

Sophie Playle said...

Roman numerals are still used in books - as the preliminary page numbers :)

Also, my bedroom clock uses them!

Yay for Roman numerals!

(Do they not teach this in school any more? I remember being taught it.)

Jessie Carty said...

when i was bored in class i would write roman numerals in the margin of my page. i think i managed to to MMMXCIX but I didn't know the simple for going to 4000! :)

Jessica said...

I don't seem them used as chapter headings much and when it comes to adding the volume or part number of a book my company insist on changing it.

My school did not teach them - it was more algebra and pi.