Thursday, 14 January 2010

You Shall Know Our Velocity

I am still reading Dave Egger’s first novel, ‘You shall know our Velocity.’
The book is brilliant – I like the subtle experimental techniques – nothing too flash and over the top. We don’t want to scare the reader. This book is about ‘Hands’ and Will as they go on a journey around in the world in seven days (or try) and try to come to terms with their friend’s death. I read on Wikipedia that there are different versions of this book with some characters taken out, etc. I guess its like having a director’s cut.

I think we could make it onto the list of favourite authors. I’ll try another book and see. The list has been cut recently. A lot of my favourite author’s released new books last year. Great, I thought, 2008 was not a great year for exciting books. So, I got the books when they were released in hardback and sat down. I nearly gave up on one and the others did not stir me. I was disappointed. But maybe next time. Everyone has their writing struggles.

Dave’s Egger’s half memoir, half fiction ‘A heartbreaking work of staggering genius’ is now on my wish list.

3 comments:

Sara Crowley said...

I adored "You Shall Know Our Velocity", which I read after the thoroughly wonderful A Heartbreaking Work....

Eggers is one of my favourite writers. He seems to be rather hated by some which I just don't get. I'm not so keen on his flash fictions but am glad that eh experiments with different form.

I haven't heard about there being different versions of Velocity. Weirdness.

Jessie Carty said...

i've only read the lost boys fiction/almost non-fiction that he wrote. good read but a little slow to get into :)

Jessica said...

It sounds like I am definitely going to need to read Heartbreaking work... Better head to the bookshop at lunchtime!