Thursday, 24 December 2009
I am taking a festive break from a week or so as I need to recharge my batteries and also the Macbook has asked for some annual leave. I can't say no, she has helped me write the majority of the novel.
I hope everyone has a happy and joyful time and don't forget to leave a mince pie out for Father Christmas.
See you on the other side!
Wednesday, 23 December 2009
Three failed attempts. Some people would have given up, headed back to the poetry and short stories, maybe tried again in another decade. I did not want to be beaten.
Having ‘thinking time’
I let the idea swim around. Made notes, Gave some thoughts to the plot.
I normally write a few hundred words and then make a few scribbled notes. Planning is for school assignments but this time I planned the structure. Post-it notes were my saviour.
Dragging yourself to the writing desk after a full day at the office is sometimes hard. Spending 7.5 hours staring at the screen only to come home and do the same for another 2-3 hours in the evening. I needed a target – initially 250 words every day. Nearer the end it was 500.
Just writing the book that I want to read and not writing for the market.
Not caring about the first draft being perfect.
I stopped reading ‘writing manuals’ for the whole time I was writing the novel. My only concern was about getting the story on to the page. ‘Technical’ bits are for later.
Other things that helped:
- Drinking hot blackcurrant.
- Remembering Anne Lamott’s in ‘Bird by Bird’ – first drafts can be shitty. That is their purpose.
- Reading other writers blogs as they recorded their novel progress.
- Keeping a notebook near me at all times – ideas always spring up when you least expect them.
Wednesday, 16 December 2009
The plan is to print off the whole manuscript and then hide it for a few months. I am going to keep myself in the writing mood by finally finishing some stories, writing new ones, getting back into 'morning pages' or as I like to call them 'before bedtime pages.' I am hoping that by doing some 'free' writing will release some locked away ideas. I'm also going to read some writing reference books and do some crafty things too.
WOW - I actually did it!
First draft word count - 82,390
Friday, 11 December 2009
Short Circuit is the kind of book I wished was around when I did my Masters and Degree. This book has a different author for each chapter as they explore the important elements of a short story. Reading their writing process is more insightful to a writer rather than the 'How to' approach that you find in most creative writing books. As well as using the advice for short story writing I also believe you can adapt some of the ideas for novel writing too. The reading lists and short exercises at the end of each chapter are really great for writers block cures!
Wednesday, 9 December 2009
But I want to finish in two weekends time. I need to stay focused and just attached my bum to the seat and not move until I have reached my daily word counts.
Over all word count - 80,775.
Must. Write. Tonight.
I'm actually writing this blog post as novel writing avoidance.
Now. Back. To. Writing.
Monday, 7 December 2009
Saturday, 5 December 2009
Friday, 4 December 2009
There are some conditions just like there is with the Oscars. (e.g. Make a better film, win again, thank God and your Mother in the acceptance speech). So here are the more nicer conditions:
* 1. Thank the person who nominated you for this award.
* 2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
* 3. Link to the person who nominated you for this award.
* 4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
* 5. Nominate 7 Kreativ Bloggers.
* 6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
* 7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they have been nominated.
Okay, Number one, two, three are done.
Seven things about me:
- I dream of one day being published in Mslexia.
- I don't drink tea or coffee because it gives me headaches but more importantly its a sign of being an adult.
- Pizza reminds me of sick.
- I tried to write a science fiction novel when I was 18 and all the characters had names that either began with a 'X' or ended with a 'Z.'
- I prefer a night in either reading/writing/playing scrabble/watching a film rather than being sick in a nightclub toilet after having too many vodka redbulls.
- I have nightmares about spiders. They are so bad that I wake up screaming and climbing out of the bed.
- I like writing poetry but haven't done any this year.
Thursday, 3 December 2009
I am currently at 78,00-ish words for the first draft of my novel. I can see the end and its two and a half chapters away. I have done some sums. If I write at least 250 words every day then I could be finished by Christmas Eve. Exciting stuff.
Now, I need to make sure I don't get too excited and stop writing all together.
A more constructive blog post coming soon. One about Kreativ award, one with a Q&A and one about something else.