Wednesday, 7 October 2009

Wordcount Wednesday

I am writing. alot. Yes, the blog is suffering. I seem to have blogger's block but I guess its better than writer's block.

This week I have been contemplating applying and submitting to spoken word events. It is something I have been wanting to do for a long time. I just need to take a deep breath, not worry about stage fright and actually email out some queries.

I have some new flash fiction pieces in my notebook. They need some 'thinking time' to decide if they are worthy enough for submission or if they are more suitable to stay in my notebook.

Overall word count on the novel - 57,428.
The most words ever written by me. I'm still in shock. But I have found an idea that I NEED to write about. Plus I don't have to worry about grades or what people will think. This novel is for me. Submitting it is way down the list.

2 comments:

Alex Thornber said...

Hi Jess,
Firstly thank you, I'm glad you liked it. About First Edition, to be honest a long time. They get in so many submissions and they don't tell you, in my experience, when they have rejected you. I guess you just hang on as long as you want to before sending your story somewhere else. First Edition is a really great magazine and they are super serious about what they do but if you're looking for a speedy response I wouldn't suggest submiting there. If you don't mind waiting however, getting a story in there is worth it.
I know this is hardly the time for plugging but I am running my own online lit mag and we're looking for submissions to go in our first issue. If you'd be interested take a look at www.tomlit.webs.com

I hope my experience helps.
All the best,
Hope to hear from you soon.
Alex

Jessica said...

Hi Alex

Thanks for the comment - First Edition are still fairly new so they probably have a HUGE slush pile.

Thanks for the plug - I like your lit magazine - will try and stir something up for you!

I see you go to uni in London - I studied at Roehampton (near Richmond) and also at London Met (Holloway, Islington).

Speak soon,
Jessica