Thursday, 29 October 2009

Preparing for a Reading - Part One

WordPlay is next Tuesday. Mini panic.

Preparation Step One: The Story


I have 10 mins to read a short story. The last time I did something like that was back in undergraduate times. In one presentation I used Jelly Babies as props. This time it is me, a mic and a handwritten story by me. Scary. Scary. Feelings of nervousness and excitement are colliding at the moment. 

1.) Pick a story to read. This sounds simple doesn't it? Well for me it was a long, hard task. I practiced with a few pieces. One was too, too short and another was 13 mins and I was only half way through the story. A story for ten mins. The BBC website says that between 1900-2000 words is ten mins.

2.) Edit said story. The one I will be reading is a new, fresh, unpublished piece. The story will be ready for Tuesday.

3.) Read the story to yourself. Read the story out loud. Pick the right 'voice'. Maybe the posh one, not the duck one.

4.) More reading.

5 comments:

Sophie Playle said...

Good luck! You are very brave!

obsidianrazor said...

Good luck, reading aloud is hard but I'm sure you'll do fine!

I've been thumbing through 'Your Voice & How to Use It' by Cicely Berry (and a few other gems). Yes, there are whole books on speaking...

emily josephine mcphillips said...

at least you don't have a manchester accent!

Kerry said...

Hey Jess,

Good luck lovely! Shame I'm still on travels as The Ship is just round the corner from my bessies flat!

You'll have to do another so I can come see :)

xx

Jessica said...

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the luck - I'm going to need it plus a few 'stiff' drinks.