Sunday, 4 October 2009

My Life in Bullet Points

I have been really busy over the past few weeks and so I thought I would give you a cheesy montage as a snapshot. So here is the blog alternative, bullet points.


  • Reading more - I am now getting the train to and from work. I am currently reading 'The year of the Flood' By Margaret Atwood. At first I thought I was not going to like it but its a grower. Handmaid's Tale is still my favourite. 
  •  I am in the process of editing two short stories. One is more flash fiction length. They are currently in the second editing cycle. 
  • Reading other people's work and giving feedback. 
  • Writing the novel - word count is now 55,254 words. I have increase my writing goals recently. So the blog is suffering and also the short story writing. I might have to cut back on one of the above bullet points. 
  • Reading the new Mslexia - arrived on Friday. 
  • Researching and reading new magazines. I now have a small list in my notebook with possible places to submit some stories. 
  • Waiting to hear back from three writing competitions. 
  • More novel writing. 

4 comments:

Teresa Stenson said...

Sounds like you have a lot of really varied and productive stuff going on, Jessica. Very cool indeed.

BUT

YOU HAVE THE NEW MSLEXIA???

Where's mine??!!!

I can't handle it.

Jessica said...

Thanks Teresa :)

Lets hope your copy arrives soon - its another great issue.

I read on the tonto website that they are announcing the winners this week!

Teresa Stenson said...

Oooh... wonder if they've contacted the winners then? I emailed Manchester Fiction Prize today to ask if they've done that... Probably have, seeing as the ceremony is Oct 23rd ish.

Wish such big comps would just update their sites to say all winners/shortlisters have been contacted when they have, so you can safely edit and re-sub.

Hmm, yes, I'm hoping it's a postal issue with the wondrous Mslexia. It's a seasonal highlight.

Jessica said...

Hi Teresa - Maybe your copy is stuck in the black hole that we call Royal mail. My boyfriend's car insurance papers were and so the car got crushed last Tuesday (RIP - I still need to bury the spare car key!).

Tonto books have said that they are going to notify the winners on Friday via email and also on the blog!

I read my story the other day and now I feel a little bit annoyed. I think it needed more of a sparkle!