Tuesday, 4 August 2009

finding Genre in a Science Fiction Magazine

In this month’s SFX magazine (issue 186) (I don’t normally buy sci-fi magazine but a front cover about Stargate is definitely going to get my attention) they have a great article called ‘Caught in the slipstream’ by Jonathan Wright.

The article looks at the difference between a literary and science fiction. Audrey Niffenegger’s The Time Traveler’s Wife is a prime example. Niffenegger’s novel has elements of science fiction but she is filed under the ‘fiction’ section in a bookshop.

Even George Orwell’s 1984 has this problem – straddling both genres.

Sterling coined the phrase ‘Slipstream fiction.’ I have also heard it being called speculative fiction.

A good definition from Wikipedia: Slipstream falls between speculative fiction and mainstream fiction. While some slipstream novels employ elements of science fiction or fantasy, not all do. The common unifying factor of these pieces of literature is some degree of the surreal, the not-entirely-real, or the markedly anti-real. Read more here.

My novel in progress would probably be classed in the same manner. A bit of both. I would probably be shouted at by a lot of writers and writing books – because YOU MUST WRITE TO A SPECIFIC GENRE. I’m sorry but we live in an age where genre borders have blurred and where writing should be judged for the quality. When I was a bookseller, I wished for crime, sci-fic and the classics to all be in one ultimate fiction section. I bet customers who would not been seen dead over in the sci-fi corner would have picked up a Neil Gaiman or two.

4 comments:

Sharon E. Dreyer said...

You are absolutely correct! So many books cross genres and back again. Check out my first and recently released novel, Long Journey to Rneadal. This exciting story is a romantic action adventure in space. There now, I've crossed genres, but that's not always a bad thing; is it?

Jessica said...

Hi Sharon

Thanks for visiting my blog - I will check your website out and your book :)

Hope to see you about soon,
Jessica

lisa said...

that's really interesting, i'll have to read that article - and i'm even more intrigued about your novel now...

Jessica said...

Hi Lisa - Thanks for the comment! :) I think the magazine is still out - if not I can photocopy you the article and send to you via post or PDF?