Monday, 13 July 2009

Second Person POV

You were told after writing a six thousand word story in your third year at university that second person point of view wasn't popular and was a tad too experimental. But you liked your story with the reader having a central role. It felt more interactive, fun and gave you more freedom, too.

Tonight you wrote a story. First in third person, then first and then you remembered your good old friend, Second person.

The story is full of energy and truthful too. You like it. You even have a moment of thinking it could be the best piece of fiction that you have written for months. You like the story so much that you polish, edit and send it off. No leaving it on the MacBook to stew. This story needs to be read.

6 comments:

katiemccullough said...

:)

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

I like the idea of reworking the same story in each person. I might try this as well.

Jessica said...

Katie - ;P

Tessa - It really changed the story with each viewpoint. Highly recommend it! I'm going to change the sex of the viewpoint character tonight on another story as it current doesn't work as well as I hoped!

Teresa Stenson said...

Good for you. I like second person too, and from how you describe it it sounds like that it's right for this story of yours.

When I started writing I'd find myself naturally writing in second - maybe because I felt I was addressing someone in particular, I'm not sure. Odd.

'Too experimental'. Sheesh.

Good luck for wherever you sent it...

Jessica said...

I sent my story to Dogzplot as I really admire the writers they have featured so fingers crossed.

I wanted to laugh when my tutor said that...

allison said...

This made me laugh! Take that, professor! I've written a short piece in 2nd person and really liked it, it does feel experimental, in a fun way. It's nice to mix things up.