Who Can Apply?
Eligible applicants must:
• Be currently resident within the Eastern region; Bedfordshire, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk or Suffolk
• Be unpublished or in the early stages of their career
• Not be studying for an academic qualification in creative writing, unless completed before October 2009 (requirement for Grants for the Arts application)
• Not have received an Arts Council Grant for the Arts award in the previous three years
• Not be an employee of Writers’ Centre Norwich
The Support Offered
Between September 2009 and May 2010 each of the ten writers selected will be provided with:
• Support through an application to the Grants for the Arts Lottery scheme
• Creative mentoring from experienced writers and mentors
• Access to training opportunities
• Specialist advice and development workshops
• An opportunity to showcase their work
• Support in establishing contacts with agents and other literature professionals
The Application Process
There is a two stage application process.
Stage One is the submission of the initial application. This should consist of:
• A sample of your work up to 3000 words typed (hand-written submissions will not be accepted), single-spaced 12pt on A4.
• A professional reference (up to 300 words) on the value of your work and your suitability for inclusion in the Escalator Scheme from one of the following: accredited creative writing tutor, literature development officer, literary agent, publisher, literary editor, professional writer or other industry professional.
• A personal Statement (up to 300 words) including your personal details, an outline of your writing career so far, and the reasons you believe you would benefit from inclusion in the scheme.
What We Are Looking For
Proposals will be assessed and a long list compiled from those who meet the requirements outlined below:
• Residency in the region
• Creative talent
• Potential for development
• Realism of proposal
• Commitment to the Escalator Literature development scheme
DEADLINE STAGE ONE: Midday Wednesday JULY 15