Wednesday, 20 May 2009

Overdoing the 'refresh' button until the computer crashes

I wish that some of my favourite authors would either have websites or even a blog. I think in this internet age these things are very valuable to an author. Its a good idea for several reasons: marketing - help advertise a new publication or book signing, networking with other writers, forming a closer relationship with the reader, practising writing styles. Also blogs are good from keeping up the writing habit. Reading author blogs have got me reading books that I would have previously not noticed.
I have become quite OCD about checking my emails over the past month. I'm still waiting from replies for my submissions. There are four currently outstanding and I could with knowing as I have stumbled across some new publications that I want to try. I have been checking my mail at work, at home and currently on my phone during the evenings as the Virgin-Media guy has come yet to do his wires trick. And thanks to a shooting pain whilst holding a mug full of hot water, my phone is being naughty after its little soak. I'm not being impatient. I am actually being good because I have sent the same stories to several magazines. I promise not to cry if its a rejection. I'm a big girl now.
And another thing, today I had to deal with a publisher who doesn't have email, doesn't have internet, doesn't have a computer. How can publishers survive with out email. Sometimes waiting for a query to arrive via snail mail can be too long!

4 comments:

katiemccullough said...

I know what you mean about blogs, for me it lets me get into the mindset of fellow authors. The decision to start blogging myself was a productive one as now I'm eager to read others and write more. Which in turn keeps my ol' brain ticking. Plus it means that you can get a more personal spin on their work as you chart the woes and excitement.

Fingers crossed that you'll hear good things! Snail mail eh? I do like receiving and writing handwritten letters but for a publisher... yikes?

Kx.

Jessica said...

I don't think the publisher understood the importance of the internet.

Hope you are well,
Jess
:)

Sam said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice post! Thanks so much for sharing.

Jessica said...

Hi Sam

Thanks for visiting my blog and I am glad you enjoyed reading my post :)

Hope to see you again,
Jessica