Thursday, 30 April 2009

State of Play With The Notebooks

I recently saw State of Play at the cinema. The film stars Russell Crowe, Ben Affleck, Helen Mirren and also the guy from the Orange advert made a cameo. The film is about a government aide being killed and Crowe and his young sidekick (Rachel Mcadams) at the newspaper try to solve the cover-up.
The interesting thing about this film tries to show a difference between the old media and new media by playing on stereotypes and assumptions.Crowe is a traditional reporter. His is the one with books and paperwork piled high like a boundary around his desk. He always has a pen or pad at the ready and because he doesn't really believe in the new way, he has the oldest computer the props team could find. He produces articles as and when he feels like it. McAdam's character is a journalist who blogs and writes new articles every hour for the website. Crowe is always giving her a pen because she never has one when they are out making interviews and following leads. We don't see her desk, but why would we, a blogger doesn't need a desk. They set up shop anywhere and everywhere.
But I blog and I have a desk piled with books, scraps of paper and leads. I also carry a notebook and a selection of pens in my bag when I venture out in to the real world. Actually I have several notebooks:
  • Handbag notebook - plain paper, no lines - I am not really getting on with this one. The last time I jotted something was two months ago. The plain page looks like a snow storm.
  • Work notebook - kept on my desk - making general jottings.
  • A5 notebook - notes about the novel, rests on the desk
  • A4 spiral pad - some of my rough drafts are made in this book.

No comments: