Wednesday, 11 March 2009

Clutch Control

I am currently learning to drive. Now that's a sentence I thought I would never write because of my clumsiness and general confusion with left and right. Don't panic and hide behind bushes every time you see an 'L' plates car crawling on the road because I am only allowed around industrial estates at the moment - that's all I am good for! Plus I am scared of meeting traffic and keep forgetting how to change gear. 

Driving reminds me of writing. You need to always be aware of where you are going, observation is key and you are the one in control. Plus you need to practice. 

I have been re-reading Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird - Some Instructions on Writing and Life" and came across this nice quote that she found: 


"E.L. Doctorow once said that 'writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.'"


Last weekend I wrote a short story and its currently brewing on my laptop before I edit it with fresh eyes. I seem to be writing a lot about the world ending recently - I guess its the spiral of doom in the news. 

I have also tackled some more of the novel. Not too much but enough to say that the first draft of Chapter Two is done for the moment. 

Words: 8641

2 comments:

Mashka Cordwell said...

I can so relate to you! I am learning to drive, too. not great at it, to tell you the truth. Good luck with it! and see you on Blogger. M.C.

Jessica said...

Hi!

Great to hear from a local blogger or at least from the same county!

I love the pictures on your blog.

Hope your driving is coming on better than mine. This weekend i nearly went into another learner. Not good!

J :)