Tuesday, 24 February 2009

24 Years Young

Friday was my birthday and I got alot of goodies. The boyfriend got me an iPod Shuffle, small enough to fit in my pocket and to take to the gym, Mum and Dad contributed money towards my digital camera and I also got some money. I purchased books, of course! A trip on Saturday to Cambridge and I came away with The Cleft by Doris Lessing and America Unchained by Dave Gorman. I see birthdays as my personal New Year and I would rather set myself goals now instead of January. 

I am going to make sure I write every week (2-3 times), improve my writing, continue submitting to magazines (this will involve writing some shorts) and also keeping the habit! I would love to be halfway through writing my novel by this time next year. I know that seems like a small almost laughable goal but I want writing to be enjoyable, not a chore. 

I'm currently reading Douglas Adams' Life, The Universe and Everything. Its the third title in the comedy science fiction series of the HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy. And this quote about the guide (written by hitchhikers about the workings of the galaxy. Earth's entry is simply - 'Harmless'), reminded me of the ups and downs of writing. 

"The history of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of idealism, struggle, despair, passion, success, failure and enormously long lunch-breaks."

Word Count: 6651

2 comments:

BethanĂ¯e L'insolite said...

Nice Adams quote! I also have been trying to write a novel but can't seem to buckle down and actually write a bit each day...

Seems like the books magically appear, lol. When reading you really don't imagine the sheer amount of energy spent debating what goes where, and how this and that fits together. :P I would love to see some of your writing and/or hear your take on my premise for a book - spectrumbooks.blogspot.com

Also, a good book to read is the Red Dwarf books, very funny in a Douglasy sort of way. Or an Autobiography of a Yogi - which is a very different sort of read.

Jessica said...

Hi!

Its definitely hard trying to find a habit - so many distractions!

I would like to have a read of your premise :)

I'll add those book recommendations to my 'to be read' reading list.

Jessica
:)