Monday, 1 December 2008

Paris Interviews


The lastest book purchase bounced off the doormat and onto my armchair today. Volume three of The Paris Reviews is full of author interviews and just like volume one (I'm still waiting for the second one, maybe Father Christmas will see my incomplete collection and feel like the gap needs filling), gives insights into the writing process. The conversational tones catch the writers in a state that makes them feel like you and me, not the 'celebrity' that most of them are.
SAM SHEPARD 1997 “I hate endings. Just detest them. Beginnings are definitely the most exciting, middles are perplexing and endings are a disaster.”
JORGE SEMPRUN 2007 “When I write, I make my memories tangible, and in this way I can get rid of them. On the other hand, writing is but a ploy to convulse memory back into life.”
WILLIAM TREVOR 1989 “English eccentricity has a suburban quality—it's like a very neatly trimmed garden in which you suddenly realize that the flower beds aren't what they seem to be.”
These are just some of the quotes from the Paris Review website. Some of the interviews can be read on the website (in full or part) but having the book allows you to dip in and pull out chunks.

No comments: