Tuesday, 30 September 2008

Logan's Run


Last week the DVD I have wanted for years was advertised in the paper as being finally released. I nearly found myself jumping out of my seat on the train and telling the unsuspecting woman next to me. For years I have been obsessed with the dystopia world in Logan's Run - the themes of escaping authority, the future, brave new worlds, fighting the system. I had seen this film on the television as a child one Christmas and was amazed. After reading Nineteen-eighty four I knew it wasn't the most sophisticated story but I was still pining to own this film. I even contemplated buying a region one and then purchasing a multi-region DVD player. But then the tiny advert in the paper came to my rescue.
Rushing to the shop after a lunchtime gym session, I scanned the shelves and nothing. This was the shop that it was advertised. Heading to the counter and a girl in scruffy t-shirt and baggy jeans (she looked liked she has just fallen out of a mosh pit).
"Could you please search for Logan's Run?"
"Never heard of it," she mumbled.
Immediately I became defensive inside but I still smiled on the outside. The girl made no further movement to search on the computer or even help.
"Would your computer system know?"
She took a deep sigh and reluctantly marched to the computer.
The computer had said No. Apparently the film didn't exist. She gave me a look as if I were a crazy person sent to crush her precious world.
She told me to try the rival next door and shrugged. It was over.
I still don't own one of favourite childhood TV films - I didn't want to use the internet as I want to hold the physical item and have it immediately but I guess I will have to go crawling back.

PS. I am currently re-editing the 'birthday story' and also an online e-zine have asked for a rewrite on a poem.

3 comments:

Rob said...

Wow, I remember seeing "Logan's Run" as a kid in the theater and really loving it. (This was back when Farrah Fawcett was one of Charlie's Angels - she had a very small part in the film.)

Great movie!

actonbell said...

Good luck in obtaining your movie! I'd forgotten about that movie, but was very moved by 1984, as well. And I approve of your favorite books on your profile, too, btw:)

I landed here by black box. Happy Saturday!

Annie Wicking said...

Black box brought me here. Have you tried Ebay for the dvd of Logan's Run. I went to the picture house to see this film when it first came to the big screen.

Does this mean I'm must be getting on in years... lol

Best wishes,

Annie